Thursday 8 May 2014

 photo post-mark.png

First post, principles, goals


Everyone suffers stress at some point in their life… probably at many points. Sometimes stress becomes anxiety, and sometimes anxiety might have little to do with stress.

The thing is that despite the fact that 1 in 4 people suffer a mental health problem at some point in their lives, there is still a stigma about mental health. And I can’t help but wonder why (cause that is a hell of a lot of people).

Depression is a clinical condition. A person would not be embarrassed to admit that they suffer from asthma or diabetes; however, when I was diagnosed depression my mom’s first words to me were 

‘Do not tell the family or the university, just say that you’re stressed’

Why, I thought, would I have to lie about my medical condition? I know she only meant it to protect me. 
If I try to use other words, the words that my psychologist and psychiatrist are using now – ‘borderline personality disorder’ (or BPD)– people will simply hear ‘crazy’. 

That is why I have only told the closest people that that’s the latest diagnosis. They know me well. Like my dear boyfriend told me, in his words ‘I have diabetes, but I am not a diabetic’. I have had repeated episodes of depression during my life, since I was 11, I am 21 now. I have felt this constant feeling of emptiness for 10 years. I have a personality disorder. But I am a lot more than that. I am more than my diagnosis. Just like you. We’re not just made of 1 simple thing. And that’s why the people who are close to me don’t judge me for knowing that I have a personality disorder, despite the stigma around it. They know ME. They are ready to take this path with me and learn about the disorder, to defy the stigma, to know more about it all. I know this also affects them. And that is partly why I want to get better. No one else really needs to know, however there is no reason to be ashamed of other people knowing about this condition. Like I said it is just a medical condition just like any other... and if a stigma exists around it... it is time for it to stop existing. And for us to be part of that.

And this blog is part of my recovery.

I want to make this blog a safe space for me and for the readers to talk and discuss mental health and recovery. What makes me feel better. Please feel free to comment and to post in the comments what you think, if you agree, if you disagree, I want to know.

So if you also want to recover (no matter what your mental health problem is, or even if you don’t have one), and even if you don’t, follow me in this adventure!

We are all extraordinary, but normal, people; just like everyone else is. 

The only thing I will not tolerate in the comments is disrespect. Not against me, not against well-being, not about life, not about any previous comment (so if you comment something MEAN I will have to delete it)

If you need urgent help, please go visit this page

Life is beautiful 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme